Knysna Sedgefield Hospice palliative care focuses on relieving your pain and symptoms through medications and integrated therapies that nurture your body as well as your soul.
If you are living with a chronic condition or have been diagnosed with a serious illness that has not yet reached an advanced stage, our palliative teams may help you find the comfort you need to carry on with your daily life. Knysna Sedgefield Hospice palliative care services are available to family and caregivers as well.
Paediatric Palliative Care
We offer care to:
- Children with life limiting illnesses (e.g. cancer, HIV, organ failure)
- Children of patients in a household where a parent or guardian is ill, children need emotional support, facilitation of issues around school difficulties and help with access to grants etc.
This is provided by the Hospice team in several ways.
- Riding lessons in partnership with S.A.R.D.A
- Individual play therapy sessions
- Workshops to increase adults understanding of children’s needs.
- Orphaned & Vulnerable Children (OVC) Support Groups: currently we are running two supports for children (girls) between 11 to 16 years of age. For more reading click here.
Day Care is an integral part of Knysna Sedgefield Hospice. It enhances quality of life for patients by maintaining their independence.
A visit to Day Care enables patients to socialize with others in a similar situation, as well as having the chance to discuss all aspects of their illness with the nurse and doctor on duty. If there are particular physical, social, emotional and spiritual needs, these can be discussed with social workers.
Daycare also gives the families a break from their caring role. We rely on our valued volunteers to transport patients to and from daycare, provide catering and run the activities.
Death and grief can come at any age and in many forms. Knysna Sedgefield Hospice offers support to the bereaved family members in group sessions or individually.
- One-on-one grief counselling
- Grief support groups
- Caregiver support
- Support for children and their families
- Bereavement support following a sudden death or trauma
Sometimes we need a little more to help us heal following the death of a loved one. For that reason, we offer our Remembrance Service and Carols by Candlelight.
Care For Caregivers
Not only is caregiving an extremely challenging role, it’s also one that can go on for many years. Wondering how much longer you can handle the situation? Worrying about having enough money? Handling heavier caregiving burdens as your loved one’s condition worsens and you get older.
Members of the clinical team visit patients at home and provide support to primary caregivers.